The Perks of Transitioning Into a Developer



Having studied in a convent school my syllabus was pretty much bound to a serious, stern and a prescribed format. I was supposed to know whatever was there in the books, and further scavenge more books to obtain as much information as I could in order to amalgamate marks in my papers. I was introduced to coding from my fifth standard itself. My childhood was pretty filled with BASIC, JAVA core and a rudimentary amount of C++. I never knew there existed a world that is larger, a world beyond coding, a world that is so real.

Having a knack for technical knowledge, and also being a girl child, I always used to feel a tinge of difference, a bit of unnatural segregation. When all my friends were busy drafting scripts for plays, interning in organizations as journalists, or maybe scripting articles, I was here buried inside a laptop, coding.

After I finished my 12th boards and competed in a rat race of engineering exams, I had to repeat a year. Why? People say because I couldn’t get a proper college. No. I say, I repeated because I didn’t get a decent college that would offer me a Computer Science B.Tech course. And yes, I was pretty hard on myself. I knew it right inside my heart that no branch in an NIT or IIT whatsoever could give me as much happiness as a Computer Science branch can. So here I am, standing a bit more knowledgeable than before, proud of the decision that I had taken.

As soon as I stepped into college, I was troubled by weird nightmares of AI, Machine Learning, Blockchains, Web Development, Game Theory as so much, none of which made any sense to me. So I focused on competitive coding, but then there came I time, when I got bored. The technical fest of our college offered so much. It offered me my first exposure to Web Development, and my first hackathon, and believe me, I fell in love.

People have a very wrong notion about web developers. No, they aren’t people who code in HTML and CSS only. And yes, if you know a bit of HTML and think you can design websites, then get a technical checkup done. Web development is a different genre on its own. And trust me, it’s easy. Metaphorically, it is like, once you learn how to swim, you will never drown, but then you have an ocean to cross.

My first website was this.





I very crude one, but then, a good one for a first-timer too. I learned to create forms, button, links, marquees, all seemed too interesting.

I then gradually coaxed myself to learn responsive design, Bootstrap frameworks, and JavaJavascriptmeworks. I am currently learning Angular JS, and my last webpage looked somewhat like this.





It's a great difference I know.

Web development is an addiction. And somehow, there is a very grave, sincere and long-lasting relationship between web –developers and pizzas. Yes, you read it right. We as developers crave over coffee and pizzas and Redbull, at least most of us. They are our friends when we need to stay up late and complete our projects.

Now, I take pride in being inducted into the core committee of IEEE VIT student chapter and Inner Circle: Google Developer Groups VIT.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The K-ary Tree Concept